Duluth, Missabe & Northern (1891-1901)
- Merritt brothers discover soft hematite iron ore at Mountain Iron on the Mesabi Range in 1890. DM&N incorporated in 1891.
- Lines constructed from Mountain Iron, Virginia and Biwabik to Stony Brook Junction (Brookston) on the Duluth & Winnipeg (later Great Northern) in 1892.
- First loads of ore arrive in Superior, Wisconsin in October 1892.
- Track laid to Duluth and ore dock built in 1893. Superior Branch from Wolf to Hibbing also built.
- The Merritt's shaky financial position, due in part to the Duluth expansion, results in John D. Rockefeller controlling the DM&N and Merritt ore properties in 1894.
- Rockefeller sells the DM&N and ore properties to the new United States Steel Corp. in 1901.