Duluth & Iron Range (1881-1901)
- Duluth & Iron Range formed in 1881 by Charlemagne Tower, Sr. to haul iron ore from his Minnesota Iron Co. in Soudan to the new port of Two Harbors.
- First ore shipped to Two Harbors on July 31, 1884
- D&IR falls under control of Illinois Steel in 1887.
- 21-mile line from Tower to Ely built in 1889 to serve Illinois Steel's Chandler Mine.
- In 1890, line buiilt from Allen Junction to McKinley, near Biwabik on the Mesabi Range.
- D&IR annual shipments exceed a million tons in 1892.
- All five timber ore docks at Two Harbors completed by 1895.
- Track extended to Virginia, Eveleth, Fayal and Winton during 1893-95. The Two Harbors-Waldo line rebuilt to an easier grade in 1898.
- D&IR owner Illinois Steel (Federal Steel) is swept into the new United States Steel Corp. (USS) in 1901, put together by J. Pierpont Morgan and managed by Judge Elbert Gary.